Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Thursday, February 5, 2015

New Calling

So I have been a Primary teacher for 9-10 year olds since I moved into the ward nearly two years ago. I have loved every minute of it! I loved my classes and the differences and joys that each class has brought me. A couple of weeks ago I was getting Lizzi into bed and Curtis got a call from the First Councilor in the bishopric asking if he could come over for a little bit. Curtis told him yes then came to tell me that he was coming over after I got Lizzi in bed. I told to call him back and tell him no, because I knew it meant a new calling; and I knew it was for me. Curtis is the scoutmaster and he is doing a phenomenal job with the boys that I knew they were never going to move him. I had it all figured out and I knew exactly what the call was going to be and it scared me. I was anxious before he came over and I wasn't sure I wanted to accept the calling. But being raised by the amazing parents I was, I knew you don't turn down a calling. You always say yes, there is a reason we are given the callings we are and the Lord's ways are not our ways he knows better what we need than we do. So when Brother Godfrey came over he said "I think you know why I'm here" I responded that I had a pretty good idea. He said he had the thought on the way over that I would have it all figured out when he got here and that was a reaffirmation to him that it was the right calling to the right person. I wasn't as convinced but when he said "Sister Newman we would like to extend the calling to you to be the new primary chorister. Are you willing to accept that calling?" I had to respond yes. Despite my fears and apprehension on my new calling I knew that I had gotten comfortable where I was and this life is about growth.

I had my first week as Chorister last week and I feel like it went well, it wasn't terrible, but I felt like I had room to improve too. I think once I can get my feet wet and the kids get used to me and I get used to them that this will be fun for me. The kids enjoyed Lizzi with me because she is a little ham and being up front leading with mom she gets to wave to everyone which some kids view as trying to lead. Either way it helps them pay attention and Lizzi loves the attention. I am humbled that the Lord felt the need to put me in as the chorister and to help these kids learn through music, I love the primary songs and I am excited to remind myself of the songs as I teach the kids! So here's to growth and a new calling!

1 comment:

Shirley said...

that is like my favorite calling in the whole world!! It's a great place to feel the spirit

love- Aunt Shir