Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Sunday, August 18, 2013

The Lord doesn't call the qualified, he qualifies the called.

*WARNING LONG POST AHEAD*

So we moved into our house May 11, 2013 with lots of help from family, and we had a great time. We still aren't fully settled yet but we're looking forward to summer and weekends to get settled. Our second Sunday here May 19, 2013 we got a call from Tim, the gentleman we bought our home from, asking if he could come over to speak with us. Now I must have a guilty conscience or something because I started wondering what we did or why he would want to come over and talk to us. Mind you he is not in the bishopric, elders quorum, our home teacher, or in the stake that must mean something is wrong. He came over that evening and I was trying to remain calm and act like it's not big deal that he is coming over maybe he just wants to see how we've settled in or something just being a nice neighbor, but he seemed just as nervous as me. He started by saying, "well I am not really sure why I  am here but... I'm in the Pageant Presidency for the Martin Harris Pageant and we have been holding auditions since the beginning of April for the leading roles. We have filled all of them.... except two... we are missing two fairly crucial parts... Joseph and Emma Smith. We have had people audition, just not anyone we thought would be a good fit. We've been praying to find someone that could fill those callings. Today when you gave the opening and closing prayers in sacrament meeting I pointed you out to the director as the couple I kept thinking about. After the meeting she turned around and nodding said 'ask them.' So here I am asking you if you would be willing to be in the Pageant? We don't extend formal callings to be in the pageant but we, as a presidency, have felt impressed to ask you to be part of the production no audition required."

Curtis's face was priceless, he looked pale, like someone had slapped him in the face with a fish! He finally managed to respond, "you mean you are asking my wife right? I've never acted a day in my life. If you want me to help with stage crew stuff you got it, but I am not an actor. I'm black and white, if I am upset you know it if I am happy you know it I'm not good at playing emotions." Tim told him the offer was extended to both of us, "We've seen miracles happen with the pageant and if the Lord wants you to be in the pageant he will bless you." Curtis continued to protest and Tim kept trying to convince him. As Tim was leaving he said pray, fast and think about it I'll get your answer in a week or so. For two weeks I prayed for the Lord to soften Curtis's heart and get him to agree to do the pageant. I also tried to drop hints about being in the pageant. Tim approached us two weeks later at church and ask if we had made a decision. I responded "I say yes", and I looked to Curtis waiting for his answer and praying he'd say yes. "When are practices?" Tim told him "Tuesdays and Thursdays for now but it will change as the pageant gets closer." "I guess it's worth a shot...." Curtis said it as if he were defeated. I wanted to cheer I think Tim did too. He gave us the information about practice and said he was so pleased we would be a part of it.

We practiced from May 21st until the show started, Curtis did have a hard time at first he felt a little overwhelmed with everyone trying to be... "helpful" after they found out he had never acted but instead they just made him more nervous. They kept reminding him he was playing the prophet, he needed this emotion or that emotion, think about it like this. He was getting enough of that from me he didn't need it from everyone else in the cast. He did get it down though opening night, I didn't even think it was him he did so great! I have never been more proud of him in my life. The director told him they have never had a better Joseph than him. We had our picture taken by A LOT of people because Curtis looks so much like the prophet. I have never thought him to look like Joseph but when he was in costumer with his hair and make up done he looked like Joseph. I ended up dying my hair a really dark brown nearly black so I wouldn't have to wear a wig.



One night we had a descendent of Joseph and Emma Smith come to the show. He and his wife were the producers of the movie Emma Smith: My Story, he is one of the first Smiths to rejoin the church. So no pressure he's only a descendent and a movie producer...

He said that we did a great job, he asked where Curtis was when they were looking for a Joseph for the movie. He told me I had a likeness to Catherine the woman that played Emma in the movie I thought that was a great compliment.

Curtis says that it was a lot better experience than he thought it was going to be. We loved the cast we had the privilege to meet and work with so closely and for the testimonies we gained. Everyone says that you get great blessings from being in the pageant we will see if that is true and even if we don't see any other blessings we were blessed to be a part of it and to gain the testimonies we did.

1 comment:

Aubrey A said...

Wow! He really does bear a striking resemblance to Joseph Smith. Uncanny. :)