Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Monday, August 12, 2013

Children, children everywhere

So not long after we moved in (we probably had lived here about 2-3 weeks) the 2nd counselor in the Bishopric came over and we assumed it was to speak in sacrament meeting to introduce ourselves to the ward... it wasn't. We were given our first calling in our new home ward. We were called to be primary teachers for the 9-10 year old children.

We have 6 boys and 3 girls, and oh are they a handful! There is one boy that never comes/moved/we've never met I'm not sure the whole story on that, and two girls that only come every once in a while. They are at the fun age where it's all about cooties! The girls sit on one side of the room the boys sit on the other, and if Sadie(our little girl that is there all the time) is the only girl besides me there she will sit up front by me so she doesn't have to be alone. They are also at the last stage before they separate into their own gender classes.

They certainly keep things interesting, to say the least. A few weeks ago we were talking about the 3 degrees of glory and one of the boys had asked me where hell was. I tried to explain that the Terrestrial and Telestial Kingdoms are kind of like hell because we are not in God's presence. Then I had to explain further because they looked confused, so I drew a big black dot on the whiteboard and told them that was outer darkness that is what would be "hell" that is where Satan is and the 1/3 people that chose to go with him in the war in heaven. We were reading scriptures about what type of people go to which kingdom so they asked who would go to outer darkness. Curtis interjected and said that very few people from Earth go there, I explained that Cain would go there because he walked with and knew God but chose to obey Satan. Since he had a perfect knowledge and he knew what was right and wrong without question then he killed his brother because Satan told him to he will go to outer darkness because he chose to follow Satan. Then the boys(bless their hearts) shouted that Cain is Bigfoot... I started laughing SO HARD! Apparently that is a common rumor among members of the church? I have NEVER heard that before. I was trying really hard to get it under control but they kept stating the facts... 1. He was cursed to roam the earth forever. 2. That would mean he probably didn't speak English very well because they didn't speak English back then. 3. That would make him really hairy because he probably doesn't ever shave because he has to hide from everyone. I had to hurry and put a cap on that because I was going to lose my cool if they kept going so we continued.

Then when we were reading the scriptures about who goes to what kingdom and one of the scriptures Doctrine and Covenants 76:103 says "These are they who are liars and sorcerers and adulterers and whoremongers and whosoever loves and makes a lie". Our kids were amused by some of the words so they as what sorcerers were I said people who believe in and practice magic and spells. They asked what adulterers were... this one was a little harder to explain so I said it is someone who is married and decides to be unfaithful or have an affair, they were satisfied. They then asked me amongst many giggles what a whoremonger was... oh dear how to explain this one without digging a hole or stepping past my boundaries and how the parents wanted to teach their children... after a pause Curt looked at me as if to say "go ahead smarty how are you going to explain this one". I started off kind of slow and hesitant being careful which words I chose. "Well they are people who sell their bodies for money" The boys all seemed satisfied with the answer and kind of nodded (I'm not sure if it was in understanding or if it was because they didn't want to push further) but sweet little Sadie still seemed confused she replied "like for work and stuff?" I put my hand on my face... what now? "No not necessarily Sadie... for bad things". "Okay...? I still don't get it but it's okay go ahead with the lesson". Then one little boy Isaac piped in "LIKE THE BAD PARTS OF YOUR BODY SADIE!" "Oh..." her face went red and I hurried on to the next section.

Having such a big class does have it's tough times though with listening being reverent and the like. I have a really loud whistle the kind where you put your fingers in your mouth and the whole town can hear you. I have had to use this as an attention getter a time or two or at least once a week to get their attention. So for the month of July I made them a deal if I didn't have to whistle all month long they would get a party. It was hard for them but they did it! So we will be having a party sometime in August and now I have to think of another bribe every month till the end of the year so we can keep the peace in class...

No comments: